Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This thing called Nanny Tax

Okay, so I have been a Nanny for 13 years and have been working on the books for 13 years before the Nanny Tax laws were as big as they are now. So I am going through the lovely interview process that we all love so much. Well I have been on 4 interviews in the last week and out of 4 families 3 of the 4 don't want to do taxes. So of course I am like what the heck is going on is this a new thing or have I been out the interviewing process for so long that this is the new norm? Okay so now I guess I am must come across as being the Nanny Tax Advocate when talking to parents, because I have no idea why they wouldnt want to do taxes let alone get the Child Care Tax Credit. Well isn't it my responsibility to make sure I educate these families regardless if they take my advice or not? So, now I am faced with negotiating my salary with some of the other families who I have interviewed with who want to do taxes. Okay someone please tell me why $425 a week seems to be the magic number for these families for net salary its driving me crazy. I am like hold up you want me to work 55 hrs a week for $8.00hr for the first 40 hrs and then $12.00 hr for the extra 15 hrs which are deemed overtime in the eyes of the law (Thanks GTM and Associates for the over time calculator ) So the grand total is $500 a week for 55 hrs a week and after taxes your looking at $425-$430 net. I am sorry but umm that's nuts and there is no way I am working 55hrs a week and only bringing home $430 a week and I have 13 yrs of experience. I just don't get why advertise for a Nanny with more then 5 years experience when you really only want to pay for a Nanny that has 1-2 years experience and even then I think those nannies want to make more then that. Oh well back to negotiations

1 comment: